Wednesday, December 2, 2015

El Gitano


With great delight, I welcome El Gitano to the neighborhood. For five years I've dreamed about having something like this in my life again, so by next Wednesday I will have eaten there four times in their first week. Yes, I'm that excited. Since I'm not in the military, I haven't been to the US in three years, and go to Seoul only twice a year - having this open near me is a life changer.

Based on the Chipotle concept, El Gitano/s ingredients selections include: two kinds of beans, two kinds of rice, fresh cilantro, a variety of specially prepared meats, fresh guacamole (which is an extra charge), fresh salsas, pico, homemade sour cream, queso, corn salsa, Craftworks on tap, an assortment of imported beers, etc.

For those from base, you may be shocked by the cost of the guacamole, please don't complain too much.  I'm begging you. Based on the price of both the limes and avocados (which have only recently become available on a regular basis at any kind of "reasonable" price) the additional cost is to be expected. Even at 3,000 won for the add on it's likely their profit margin is minimal. So, when customers complain about the price of guacamole restaurants usually just take it off the menu and stop offering it because they can't afford to drop the price. 

As someone who desperately wants guacamole on her burritos, again, I'm begging you not to complain too much. Not all of us (Koreans, teachers, foreign spouses, etc.) have access to the privileges of the commissary and we really need this. Even at 3,000 won it feels like the guac gods have finally taken pity on us and we are thankful.

Name: El Gitano
Located: Anjeongri, walking distance from main gate
Near Black Box/ UHair building down the street from Bang,
If you walk East from the car gate in front of Humphreys, a few blocks down there is a Chinese restaurant on your left. Turn left there. El Gitano will be on your right at the next intersection.