Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Grab a Thread and Pull


Some of you who follow this blog, or my Facebook Page, or the Instagram, or even my semi-sad twitter feed might be asking, "What makes your stupid opinion matter so much?" My answer is simple, "Absolutely nothing." I am entirely unremarkable. 

This isn't something I started doing because I wanted to wow folks with my mad skills and be a super star. I just happen to do a crap-ton of stuff and folks started coming to me for information. Eventually writing the same emails again and again took up too much time. In order to make things more efficient (my main motivation in everything I do) I decided to document the highlights (that's right, I don't actually post everything I do and eat, only some of it) and make the information public. At that point - I must admit - things kind of got out of hand, and now here I am doing way more blogging than I ever intended.

When reading my blogs please try to always remember that even though I often share my opinions and love of things, I respect that what I like isn't for every person. That's why I also share information about things I think other people will love even though it's not my preference. My goal is providing access to information, not making others like stuff I like. (Of course, when I'm in love with a place I shout it from the rooftops because I want it around forever and ever.)

Let's take any sort of "fast food" for example. Fast food is basically the worst in my opinion. It's something I sometimes need, but never want. It does not make my heart sing. It just keeps me from having a medical episode. However, I know plenty of folks who think it's marvelous (like my poor misguided partner-in-crime) and I want them to enjoy it to their hearts content. I don't understand their feelings, but I support their joy and let everyone know when new options arise.

What I am trying to say is that just because I share information about a place or product, it doesn't mean that it's my most favorite thing in the world. If I adore something I will say, "OMG I am in love" and tell you it's amaze-balls and my jam. If I it's not my kind of thing, I'll describe the experience or product so you have more information and can make a decision for yourself.  

Of course there are things and places I simply will not mention. Usually they are doing something that I find violates human decency or they are unreliable. Two things I value in life are how people are treated and consistency in vision. Instead of filling the internet with more vial emotional vomit, I just don't mention places that have offended me on some level.

Another thing you need to know is that "fancy" isn't what I value most. I'm interested in more than how pretty it looks inside. Some of the most interesting people I've met, and most fulfilling experiences I've had were when I didn't judge and just experienced. There is so much more to life than a shiny facade and that's the part of the world I want to experience. That means some places and experiences I recommend might be challenging, but when I step back from my preconceived ideas I find magic there and I value that.  

What I am trying to say is that I'm not here to wow you with my importance or my knowledge, that's just a little something you get for free (had to say that because it makes me giggle). My hope isn't that you do exactly what I do when you come across an adventure, my hope is only that it's a thread you can tug that unravels your own magic.